Some suggested reading for the weekend.
* Have you ever wondered why smoking pot is like having sex with a 10-year old girl? Well, Jacob Sullum has the answer for you here.
* What’re the odds that Israel will attack Iran? Pretty high, apparently.
* British officials looking to bust into a home or business have over 1,000 legal justifications to choose from. You can thank the “war on drugs” and the “war on terror” for this state of affairs.
* Did you ever think that your government (and the military contractors that finance it) could provoke wars just to increase its power? David Gordon explains how it happens.
* America is headed towards a new fascism, argues Anthony Gregory. “[T]hose who think Bush has swung America to the right are in ways imprecise and in ways understating it,” observes Gregory. “He has on balance moved us toward a degree of American fascism we probably have not seen in half a century”.
* Antiwar.com’s Tim Swanson wrote a brilliant post outlining the ways in which the CIA has abused its power over the past few decades.
* New polls show that large numbers of people think America was really behind the 9/11 attacks. Well, that’s understandable, but naive. The government can’t even deliver the mail on time. I seriously doubt it could carry out the 9/11 attacks.